Friday, 27 January 2017

Bungalow workshop roof and skin going on

With the carcass complete, it was with great excitement we received our B&Q order for 9mm and 18mm OSB sheets (the big 8' x 4' ones). Now, of course, everyone immediately screams "you DIY noob, only idiots use retail outlets for building materials!" But I've yet to find anywhere that sells OSB sheets for less than B&Q sells them for.

Jewsons charge more than £22+VAT per sheet. Stamco are about £20 a sheet (plus VAT if I remember correctly). Even our new favourite building supplies store, Chandlers (at Hove Lagoon) want £18/sheet (again, I think you have to add VAT to those prices).
But at B&Q a sheet of 18mm 8'x4' (2440mm x 1220mm) costs just over £16. Strangely a 9mm sheet costs only slightly less at just under £15 per sheet. But if you buy enough of them, they'll even deliver to the door for free (on a whacking great big palette which we've already got designs on to use as a vertical planter, but that's for another day).

Now let's forget the cock-up they made with delivery dates (a single order of 9mm and 18mm boards was delivered over two days). Or, at least, forgive it. Because no sooner had the sheets been delivered, than we were dragging them through the house, to the back garden and throwing them up on top of the bungalow.

The roof has plenty of rafters at 300mm and 400mm centres, under the 18mm OSB roof, making it super-sturdy for walking on (this is going to be really useful to get at the apples on our enormous apple tree!)

The 18mm boards are for the roof, and the 9mm sheets for the walls. While the rain held off and the fog lifted this morning, it's been bitterly cold - making holding, lifting and carrying 8ft sheets around really hard work. Nevertheless, it only took a few hours to make serious progress on the outer skin.

Steve's matra might be "measure twice cut once".
I measure three times, cut once, cut it again, throw it out, start again, cut twice then patch up the gaps with any left over bits.

The "twin width" roof proved trickier than I expected. But we did manage to measure and cut the last remaining bit of roof before the sun went in and it got too cold to carry on (I just got a bit click-happy, taking photos before we had actually finished!).

With the roof and two sides done (two of the trickier sides too, with all that cutting and shaping around the top) the remaining two sides should be finished and ready by the weekend. Hopefully the rain will hold off until we've managed to get at least the first layer of waterproofing in place (before the final cladding goes on). Then we can move inside, put some insulation up and hopefully it'll be a bit easier working "indoors".

No comments:

Post a Comment